What's new? (Home)
Search this site
Official Twp. Site
Index to Gov't Info
The early days
Surplus & Needs
About this site
People are saying..
Established June 2, 1997
by citizens for citizens
March 16, 1998
Website of the Week
Daily Local News
August 13, 1997
A beautiful part of southeastern Pennsylvania
Fans of the World Series Champion Philadelphia Phillies
Pickering Bridge Ribbon Cutting Ceremony
I took these photos Thursday morning, June 13, 2002 during the ribbon cutting ceremony for the new State Road (Rt. 29) bridge over Pickering Creek at the site of the old "Ice Dam".
Plaque mounted on bridge. The bridge was built by McMinn's Asphalt Co., Inc. of Lancaster, PA and was completed three months ahead of schedule. For statistics on the new vs old bridge, click here.
PennDOT District Administrator Andrew Warren opens the ceremony with Senator Gerlach, Represenative Rubley and Supervisor Hogan by his side.
Charlestown Township Supervisor Paul Hogan addresses the audience.
(L to R) Supervisor Paul Hogan, State Senator James Gerlach, State Representative Carole Rubley, an unidentified young man representing future generations, and PENNDOT District Administrator Andrew Warren cutting the ribbon following the brief ceremony.
Galloway Moore in his 1911 Ford Model "T" with Paul Hogan riding shotgun is the first to cross the bridge, followed by Supervisor Mike Rogers in a 1956 Ford Thunderbird and Michael Koenig in a 1942 Dodge Weapons Carrier.
Statistics (back to top)
|Bridge opened June 13, 2002
||Bridge opened 1926
130 ft long by 30 ft wide
103 ft long by 14 feet wide
|Type: Reinforced concrete box beam
||Type: Concrete and stone
|About: The new bridge is decorated with stone veneers on the outside walls and abutments, and aesthetic steel guide rails supported by wood posts. Crews have also rebuilt the roadway approaches to the structure. The new bridge has two 11 foot travel lanes and four foot shoulders. Daily traffic is approximately 3,000 vehicles a day. Construction cost of $1,027,607 was 80% federal funded and 20% state funded.
||About: The original concrete bridge was built in 1926. PennDOT closed the bridge, which passes over Pickering Creek, for three weeks in late 2000 due to structural repairs after a Department bridge engineer discovered a hole approximately eight feet high and eight feet wide in the concrete and stone abutment.
Home Site Overview
Site development, maintenance and funding by Township resident Jacob D. Merriwether.
Hosting by PLH Worldgroup Communications, Inc.