What's new? (Home)
Search this site
Official Twp. Site
Index to Gov't Info
The early days
Surplus & Needs
About this site
People are saying..
Established June 2, 1997
by citizens for citizens
March 16, 1998
Website of the Week
Daily Local News
August 13, 1997
A beautiful part of southeastern Pennsylvania
Fans of the World Series Champion Philadelphia Phillies
Early Maps, Photos and Paintings of Charlestown Village
I have blown up snippets of several early maps of Chester County to focus in on the area of Charlestown Village. These are twice the size of the image shown here and linked from the descriptions below, with accompanying descriptive material of each map or image.
In addition, I have posted photos and some paintings in this section that are effectively village views, in contrast to specific buildings that are shown in other sections under Charlestown Village.
Note: At the bottom of each page listed below, there is a link to the next page in this series. The green links for this entire Charlestown Village section appear at the top of each of the following pages as well, allowing you to jump back to this page at any point.
- Witmer Map - 1874
- Atlas of Chester County Pennsylvania
From actual surveys by
H. F. Bridges, A. R. Witmer and others
Published by A. R. Witmer
Safe Harbor, Lancaster Co. PA
- Breou Map - 1883
- Breou's Official Series of Farm Maps
Chester County, Pennsylvania
Compiled, drawn and publshed from
personal examination and surveys
by W.H. Kirk and Co.
- Franklin Map - 1933
- Franklin Survey Company
- Directional Map
- This map is essentially a tracing of the 1874 Witmer Map. We will use a small version of this map with a red arrow and image triangle that will show approximately where the painter or photographer was standing when we show images of the Village and its buildings.
- Richard MacNamee circa 1900 Photo of "The Village"
- This photo appears in Richard MacNamee's 1905 poem Pictures from Memory's Wall and it shows at least five buildings. A barn that no longer exists is seen opposite the art studio on Charlestown Road.
- Jane Ritchie Painting
- This is a very quaint circa 1990 painting by Jane Ritchie depicting Charlestown Village from Charlestown Road, north of the woolen mill.
Home Site Overview
Site development, maintenance and funding by Township resident Jacob D. Merriwether.
Hosting by PLH Worldgroup Communications, Inc.