What's new? (Home)
Search this site
Official Twp. Site
Index to Gov't Info
The early days
Surplus & Needs
About this site
People are saying..
Established June 2, 1997
by citizens for citizens
March 16, 1998
Website of the Week
Daily Local News
August 13, 1997
A beautiful part of southeastern Pennsylvania
Fans of the World Series Champion Philadelphia Phillies
The Railroad Through Charlestown
This segment of a 1904 Scarborough map of Pennsylvania shows the railroad as it passes from Phoenixville through Charlestown Township on its way to Frazer, where one could continue on to West Chester.
Note: The Sidley Station is shown as being within Charlestown, where it was actually a few hundred yards along Sidley Road in East Whiteland Township.
- Pickering Station was just north of where the railroad crosses Buckwalter Road.
- Aldham Station was on Aldham Road.
- Devault Station was at the foot of Charlestown Road hill.
- Sidley Station was actually in East Whiteland on Sidley Road (see note below)
- Backton Station was where the railroad crossed Rt. 401, just west of Phoenixville Pike.
Home Site Overview
Site development, maintenance and funding by Township resident Jacob D. Merriwether.
Hosting by PLH Worldgroup Communications, Inc.