Charlestown Township, Chester County, PA

 
What's new? (Home)
Search this site
Official Twp. Site
About Charlestown
 Index to Gov't Info
 General Info
 Organizations
 The early days
 Photo Albums
Surplus & Needs
Neighborhood links
About this site
 FAQ
 People are saying..
 Our purpose
 About us
 Techie stuff

Established June 2, 1997
by citizens for citizens

Awards

March 16, 1998

Website of the Week
Daily Local News
August 13, 1997
  
A beautiful part of southeastern Pennsylvania
Fans of the World Series Champion Philadelphia Phillies

Kids Stuff Official Minutes Meeting Calendar Spcl Events Calendar GV Forum Neighbors of Note Neighborhood Issues Neighborhood News
Intro
Date Line
Locations
Images
The Ore
Water
C. Wheatley

Charles Wheatley

Charles Moore Wheatley was born in Ongar, England in 1822, and moved to New York City as a very young child. His highly educated mother made sure he read only the finest books. At the age of 13, then living in Staton Island, Charles's family fell on hard times and he began working for a merchant, where he learned a great deal about business. He later went into the hardware business, where he worked for 10 years. He also studied science and became a member of the board of directors of the New York Merchantile Library.
A friend sent him to upstate New York, then wilderness country, to explore and report on mineral resources there. He became interested in mining, and his report was very well done, and he was asked to become manager of the Bristol Mine in Bristol, Connecticut.
The owners of the Bristol Mine were interested in the Perkiomen Mines in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, and Wheatley accepted their invitation to move to our area. Wheatley soon heard of excellent ore near the town of Phoenixville.
Charles Wheatley subsequently explored and eventually opened the Wheatley Silver Lead Mine in 1850. While working the Wheatley Mine, Wheatley also opened and worked four other mines in the neighborhood. The mines were closed in 1857 due to internal strife among the officers of the mine, and reopened in 1864 under new owners, but with Charles Wheatley as superintendent. After disagreements lead to closing the mines in 1870, Wheatley left the area. He returned briefly in 1872.
As a hobby, Wheatley collected minerals and rare and beautiful shells, which eventually found a home at Union College. Charles Wheatley died in 1882.

(Sources)


Home      Site Overview

Site development, maintenance and funding by Township resident Jacob D. Merriwether.
Hosting by PLH Worldgroup Communications, Inc.