What's new? (Home)
Search this site
Official Twp. Site
Index to Gov't Info
The early days
Surplus & Needs
About this site
People are saying..
Established June 2, 1997
by citizens for citizens
March 16, 1998
Website of the Week
Daily Local News
August 13, 1997
A beautiful part of southeastern Pennsylvania
Fans of the World Series Champion Philadelphia Phillies
Charlestown Township Girl Scout Troop 1773's
Longwood School Project
- Junior Girl Scout Troop 1773
- Junior Girl Scout Troop 1773 is lead by Betsy Wilson and Wendy Leland from Charlestown. These fifth and sixth graders (in 2004) have been working for several months on their Bronze Award, the highest award a Girl Scout can earn.
- The Longwood School Project
- The scouts have "adopted" the Longwood School on Valley Hill Road as their service project for their Bronze Award.
Troop 1773 has been waiting (patiently!) for Charlestown Township to aquire ownership of the historical site so that they can begin cleaning the former school for future generations to appreciate its history. The girls have studied its history and have made numerous visits to the school site, and have even received a class in surveying techniques by Surrender Kholi's engineering company. Our scouts have made a formal presentation to the Historical & Architecture Review Board regarding their understanding of the importance of the site. Models, photo collages and essays were created for this presentation.
Junior Girl Scout Troop 1773 is proud to have their essays "published" on our Township web site and is excited to share our knowledge of this treasure in our community! In the future, the scouts wish to assist in the purchase of a plaque for the site with proceeds from many years of cookie sales.
- A Lesson in Surveying
- Junior Girl Scout Troop 1773 hiked to the Longwood School from their leader's home on Valley Hill Road on Tuesday 24 February 2004 in a mid winter snow storm! There they met Surrender Kholi and his team of surveyors who gave instruction to the girl scouts on their equipment and techniques of locating property boundaries. The girls and surveyors located two pins and even a benchmark alongside the road. And although the weather did not cooperate with the sensitivities of the equipment, the girl scouts learned quite a bit from the crew.
- Three Essays
- Each scout's project consisted of some combination of an essay, diorama, model or poster. Our projectd Photo Album shows most of the projects. Three of the essays are posted on our web site.
Home Site Overview
Site development, maintenance and funding by Township resident Jacob D. Merriwether.
Hosting by PLH Worldgroup Communications, Inc.